The town

The first attestation of the Siano toponym dates back to the year 852 A.D.; its territory is inserted within Rota, the actual Mercato San Severino. In the Swabian epoch it was feud of the Budettas; in the Aragonese age, the feud passed to the Denticolas, allied with the princes Sanseverino. In 1485, Tommaso Denticola was deprived of feud by King Alfonso of Aragona who gave it to Ludovico De Rynaldo, lord of Roccapiemonte. In 1500 the goods of Siano were confiscated to De Rynaldo and conferred to Don Ferrante Pandone who were followed by the Antinoris, rich Florentine bankers, in that time barons of Ciorani, the Capecelatros, the De Lucas, the Lettieris.

A walk in the Bosco Borbone, among Durmast and Broom, Ferns and Myrtle to admire the imposing lithic ruins of the Regi Lagni, reassures from the summer heat. In the historical centre, placed downhill, we find authentic works of art in the churches dedicated to the Saints Sebastiano and Rocco and of the Annunziata.

Today Siano is an agricultural centre, particularly known for the cultivation of cherries. It is also the City of the Children, who have their town council and their own feast called Fantasilandia.



To see


Church of S. Sebastiano and S. Rocco
The church, whose building began in 1756, was completed in 1785. In the sacred building dedicated to the patron of the city, whose façade is of Neoclassic imprint, the painting of the Virgin in Glory between the Saints Sebastiano and Rocco dominates the main altar. The work, dated 1794, is signed by the Neapolitan painter Michelangelo Iannacci. Also, inside the church, noteworthy are two paintings by Costantino Desiderio, a painter from the end of the XVIII century, native of Angri: the Madonna delle Grazie and a S. Antonio from Padua with Madonna and Child. Both paintings date 1794. The original bell tower destroyed by the 1857 earthquake, was rebuilt in the following year on a plan of the salernitan architect Michele Santoro.

Church of the Annunziata

Inside the modern church it is possible to admire, for its evocative strength, the fresco – detached from the hypogean chapel of the Annunziata and reassembled on cloth – that represents S. Maria della Consolazione between S. Rocco and S. Sebastiano. Currently it has been placed in the chapel of the Baptism, inside the modern and homonym parish church. Chronologically datable around the XV century, the fresco was an integral part of a wider pictorial cycle, characterized by the constituent and chromatic freshness.




Events and folklore


Football matches Valle dell’Orco. Students of football teams of professional category compete.

Fantasilandia, stories, poetries, drawings inspired by the writer Gianni Rodari.

Feast of the Cherries, tasting and promotion of the delicious fruit. Siano is the Municipality founder of the Associazione Nazionale Città delle Ciliegie. Strasiano, interregional race competition.

Feast of the goat chop and the peaches in wine. These local typical products are tasted.
16 August: Feast of St.Rocco, patron of the city. Famous and colourful is the competition of Fireworks. Regional artists and of national fame participate.
II decades of August: Feast of the pizza and mallone and Feast of pasta and beans and of pork meat.

Regional assembly of the voluntary associations Misericordie d’Italia.

Feast of St.Rocco
St.Rocco holds the supremacy to be patron of ninety five cities in southern Italy. Thaumaturge of the XIV century, is celebrated on August 16; in Siano, the feast and the cult of the saint date back to 1600. The celebrations are anticipated by the famous Feast of the chop. During the procession that takes place along all the city roads, some believers who have obtained intercessions, parade holding up heavy candles (up to 40 Kg) and wear a green dress of the same color of that of the Saint. The most spectacular event of the whole feast is the competition of fireworks where participate the most famous pyrotechnist of Southern Italy. The fireworks symbolically have the role to disperse from the community the possible presence of negative and ancestral strengths, in virtue of the pressing explosive rhythm and the excessive and dizzy explosion of colour.





Famous in the whole Campania region is the goat chop, original gastronomic delicacy of the village. It is obtained from the shoulder or the leg meat of the goat that, reduced to small slices, is sprinkled with garlic, parsley, cheese and pepper. Other deliciousness for the refined palates is the percoca or peaches, left to flavour the red wine, whose aftertaste is pleasantly exalted by the fruit.

Typical is also the mallone, boiled vegetables and herbs then fried with the potatoes, to taste with the traditional pizza from corn flour.




By bus
With the 9 line Salerno-Siano of the Cstp.

By car
With the A30, exit at Castel San Giorgio.

In train
With the Nocera-Codola-Sarno line (the closest station is Castel San Giorgio).



Telephone numbers

• Municipality - 081/5183811
• Police (local) - 081/5181006
• Police (state) - 081/920311
• Carabinieri - 081/5181343 - 081/9537914 - 081/5183809 (fax)
• Guardia di Finanza - 081/5176334 (Noc. Sup.)
• Fire services - 081/5157128
• Medical aid - 081/9368176
• Civil Protection (Misericordia) 081/5183300 - 347/6647576 (Croce Azzurra)
• Water services - 081/5183802 - 081/5161517 (Gori) - 800218270
• Electricity-Gas - 800900800 - 800016086

From "Guida alla Valle del Sarno" Istituto geografico De Agostini 2006

Realizzato dalla Soprintendenza Beni Archeologici Salerno-Avellino e Benevento, nell'ambito del progetto pilota per la gestione dei beni complessi della Valle del Sarno di cui all'Intesa Istituzionale di Programma, finanziata dalla Regione Campania nell'ambito dell'Accordo di Programma Quadro - II atto integrativo all'APQ 'Sviluppo Locale'.

Latest News

Il pirata Netes ti aspetta!

Salpa con lui per navigare, in una modalità tutta nuova, alla scoperta dei beni della Valle del Sarno!