Scafati

The town

Image 

In the ancient times the territory of Scafati was separated by the river Sarno and crossed by the Nuceria-Pompeios street. The discovery of an epigraph related to a bridge on the river has clarified that the territory of the actual city was separated between Pompeii and Nocera, respectively eastwards and westwards. The abundance of water favoured the implant of a lot of rustic villas. Among those that came to light in the last decades the most famous one is Villa Prete. The Vesuvian catastrophe of 79 A.D., that destroyed Pompeii and Ercolano, modified the geography, but enriched the economy, since the territory of Scafati was shelter of the refugees and became earth of expansion.

In 1284, Charles II of Angiò granted the earth of Scafati to the monastery of St. Maria di Realvalle as a noble feud, with the tower and all the rights connected to it. The abbey held the feud until some years before 1355, when Queen Giovanna I granted it to the Grand Seneschal of the Kingdom, Niccolò Acciaiuoli. From here the feud returned again in the hands of the abbey up to 1464, year of the donation done by Pope Pio II to his nephew Antonio Piccolomini. From the XV century onwards Scafati remained in the hands of one of the most illustrious families in southern Italy up to 1806.

In this century could be placed the start of the Scafati textile industry. It started with new customs laws, the new rates and a series of natural factors that, together with the cotton, the linen and the hemp production, let revive the industrial activity on the territory.

First protagonist was a Swiss citizen, Giovan Giacomo Meyer who, like other fellow citizens, saw in the kingdom of Naples the only way out to the sure disaster of the silky industry in Zurich and to the cotton one of S. Gallo.

Also the handicraft developed. A visit to the Glassworkers neighborhood, allows, in fact, to verify the classical courtyard implant of the houses, sign of community life.

Today Scafati is an important industrial center: it houses food packaging industries, chemical, textile, engineering and tobacco industries. Flourishing is the workmanship of the wood.

 

 



To see

Image 

Church of S. Maria delle Vergini
Placed in the centre, it was built in honor of the patron of the city in the first decades of the XVI century. It detaches on the main altar a polyptych of Decio Tramontano, datable to the beginnings of the XVI century. It is also visible a Madonna del Carmelo of the XVI century, as well as the wooden statue of the Virgo dated 1713.

Villa Prete

It was built during the I century B.C. and completed after the sillan upheavals. The discovery of a bronze seal in the atrium perhaps furnishes the name of the last owner of the villa, Popilio Narcisso Maiore. It consists of twenty-four environments, shared on 652 square meters on the ground floor and 56 square meters on the upper floor. Buried by the lapillus of the eruption in 79 A.D., it has preserved the bones of a horse and a dog, abandoned on the earth.The animals that didn’t have the chance to escape are the only testimonies of life remained in the site.

Sanctuary of the Madonna dei Bagni
It rose in origin as small votive niche. Only at the beginnings of the seventeenth century the real Sanctuary was built. Interesting is the main altar-piece, work of Simone Villani, in which the immersion in the miraculous source is represented; to notice the ex vote placed along the walls of the sacristy.

Bourbon powder factory

Magnificent palace of a discolored red that we would define bourbon, it was realized between 1850 and 1858. The King Ferdinando II entrusted the colonel Alessandro Nunziante the task to plan the building, tied up to another grandiose project: the rectification of the lower part course of the Sarno river. To testify the event, remains a picture of Giovanni Serritelli, preserved in Naples, in the Museo di San Martino, that immortalizes the deviation of the tumultuous waters in the new course. Fires and explosions, during the 80’s of the XIX century, marked the fate of the Royal Powder factory of Scafati that in 1893 changed its destination of use and it was turned into the manufacture of the tobaccos. After decades of abandonment and declines, the Superintendence B.A.P.P.S.A.D. of Salerno, has started a project of recovery on the complex of the Royal Powder factory, constituted by the residential administrative building, by the church dedicated to St. Barbara and by the test laboratory of the dusts. The environments will be, therefore, shared in a functional way, considering changed requests and more suitable expositive and museum destinations of use.

Wenner Park

The park, today open to the public, was installed after the half of the nineteenth century as private garden of the homonymous textile manufacturers. Among the forest trees a Jubaea Spectabilis is preserved, among the greatest known in Europe.

Abbey of Realvalle (Abbey of S. Pietro)

Charles of Angiò, to celebrate the conquest of his new kingdom, founded two abbeys of which one in the territory of Scafati. The Cistercian monks who occupied it had also the task to reclaim the territory crossed by the river Sarno. Let it ruined at the end of the Middle Ages, it was purchased in the last century by the alcantarin nuns who still live in it today. Currently the complex shows an eighteenth-century aspect. Of the medieval period still remains the right outside wall of the church, single lancet windows and foil capitals, in blocks of grey nocerin tuff. Other medieval parts have been incorporated by the most recent structures of the monastery.

Sisto Palace

It is the seat of the town library and the city art gallery.

 

 



Events and folklore

The Ascension period:
Feast of the Madonna dei Bagni, last eight days during which the city streets crowd of stands that for years distinguish for the great hung lemons. The main folkloristic moment is offered by the parade of elegant small two seater couches and of a great country wagon, called Carrettone ’e Vagne (great wagon of Baths), accompanied by the music of the tammorre.

First weekend of May:
Feast of St.Francesco from Paola. Once it was characterized by the tramps’ table or a great table prepared on the central avenue of Scafati. All the beggars of the village were called to join it. There was also the soap’s pole, a wooden column imbued of soft soap, on top of which hams, salamis, rustic bread and chickens hung.
2nd half of May: Feast of the Madonna delle Grazie, it was characterized by the fair of the cattle, the occasion to sell or to purchase fattening animals or pack ones.

Last Sunday of July:
Feast of the Madonna delle Vergini, patron feast that finishes on the half of the following week with fireworks of three different batteries. The pyrotechnics compete in order to give the Virgin the most phantasmagoric and refined fireworks.The wooden statue of the Madonna is brought on procession for the city roads.

  

 



Gastronomy

For the patron feast people prepared the traditional dish that had as main ingredient the head of the goatling, cooked with the peas. The Saturday prior to the Feast of the Madonna delle Vergini, is still today organized the Feast of the Mulignana, a show of all the typical dishes that have as main ingredient the eggplant prepared in meatballs, in the scapece way, grilled or in oil.

 

 



Transportation

By bus
Napoli-Scafati of the Sfsm, Cstp Pompei-Salerno, Sita Napoli-Nocera via SS18.

By car
With the A3 Napoli-Salerno, exit at Scafati.

By train
Napoli-Salerno line or Circumvesuviana line, Napoli-Poggiomarino.

 

 



Telephone numbers

• Municipality - 081/8571111
• Police (local) - 081/8631076 - 081/8506363 (fax)
• Police (state) - 081/920311
• Carabinieri - 081/8506122 - 081/8631101 (fax)
• Guardia di Finanza - 081/8590527
• Fire services - 081/5157128
• Medical aid - 081/9368176 - 081/5356529
• Civil Protection - 081/8501022
• Water services - 081/5161517 (Gori) - 800218270
• Electricity-Gas – 800900800 - 800016086

From "Guida alla Valle del Sarno" Istituto geografico De Agostini 2006


Realizzato dalla Soprintendenza Beni Archeologici Salerno-Avellino e Benevento, nell'ambito del progetto pilota per la gestione dei beni complessi della Valle del Sarno di cui all'Intesa Istituzionale di Programma, finanziata dalla Regione Campania nell'ambito dell'Accordo di Programma Quadro - II atto integrativo all'APQ 'Sviluppo Locale'.

Latest News

Il pirata Netes ti aspetta!

Salpa con lui per navigare, in una modalità tutta nuova, alla scoperta dei beni della Valle del Sarno!

 

Read more...