The town


The city takes the name from the homonym river. Its territory was populated by the Sarrastis remembered by Virgilio in the Eneide. Close to the protohistoric finds, an important place is occupied by the Hellenistic-Roman theater. The town planning configuration dates back to the early Middle Ages: the village extends around the castle on the hill where the most ancient center developed, documented up to 1400. Both the castle and the city had their period of maximum splendour during the XV century.After the Conspiracy of the Barons, the castle was razed. The citypassed from hand to hand, up to the abolition of the feudality, in 1806. The great industrial settlements for the textile production, promoted by the Bourbons, date back to the first half of the XIX century, and were financed by foreign capitals that gave a notable economic impulse to the city. Today the factories, despite they had changed their destination of use, still represent an important economic pole.



To see


Roman-Hellenistic theatre
Small jewel of the end of the II century B.C., built in the Foce resort, it surely belonged to a more ancient suburban sanctuary. It was built on the slope of the hill, in evident scenographic position, following the constructive typologies typical of the Hellenistic architecture.

Sanctuary of S. Maria della Foce
Founded, according to the tradition, by Guglielmo from Vercelli in 1134, it has been rearranged many times. The actual aspect is datable to the eighteenth century. Interesting are the frescos in the hypogeum, dating back to the late fourteenth century, together with the presumed grave of Gualtieri from Brienne, died in 1205.

Concathedral of S. Michele Arcangelo
Founded in 1066 in Episcopio, big hamlet of Sarno, it was the seat of the Diocese, raised by Alfano I. The bell tower dates back to the Middle Ages, while the actual unique aisle is of 1627. Damaged by the vesuvian eruption of 1631, it was rebuilt at the end of the XVII century; the lacunar wooden ceiling and the iconostasis saw the insertion of paintings by Angelo Solimena (1694). In the choir, the wooden stalls of the 1620 are preserved, work of A. Gueriglia of Nocera. The bell tower is of medieval epoch.

Noble chapel of S. Giacomo

It belongs to the Abignente Palace. The façade is of the XIX century, while the inside is an eighteenth century implant.


Church of S. Matteo
Built in early medieval period, it was unchanged up to the XVI century, when a noble chapel was added to the complex.

Church of S. Teodoro and oratory of the Maddalena
The building of cult, built before the XVII century, underwent a remaking in 1700, evident in the superb portal. The oratory is characterized by the façade redrawn around 1886 with the addition of a double order of small loggia.

Church of S. Maria delle Tre Corone

Originally founded as chapel of the dead in the graveyard, it had a rebuilt in 1691 in honor of S. Maria del Suffragio. The actual organization is of the first decades of the nineteenth century.The presence of a Marian image gave her the title of Marian sanctuary. Its position in the crossroad of one of the principal axis of the historical center gives it an aura of great suggestion.

Capua Palace
The Baroque Capua Palace, once Ungaro, will soon houses the Museo Archeologico della Valle del Sarno.

Tomb n.1799, so-called “of the Warrior”

Recently, in the Garitta resort, has come to light, inside a vast ancient necropolis, a stupendous box grave in painted plates of tuff. Defined “of the Warrior” by the archaeologists, in virtue of the iconic cycle represented, is datable within the IV century B.C. and it represents, with bright chromatic varieties, characters of the sannitic aristocracy and servants, among numerous pomegranates with a bright blood red color. Currently in restoration, the grave will be reconstructed inside the future Museo della Valle del Sarno, in the Capua Palace.

Villa Lanzara-Del Balzo
Dating back to the end of the nineteenth century, it houses for short time the Board of Regional Park of the Sarno river. Marvellous the two gardens that surround it, set in front and on the back of the building. Also, the presence of many marmoreal fragments of imperial age and faked architectural ruins, gives the whole complex a suggestive romantic aura, also stressed by the unusual floors in marmoreal tarsia with Egyptian hieroglyphic in some environments of the ground floor, coming from Torlonia Palace in Rome. Built on project of the architect Curri, in neoclassic style, it was completed in 1889. In its rooms they are preserved a Nativity of Angiolillo Arcuccio and a painting representing the city of Sarno.




Events and folklore

The passing of Alesio, the sarnese mask, with the face painted in blue and yellow. It brings a full night vase of macaronies.

Holy Friday:
Procession of the Paputi (the term derives from the Latin “pappus” which means “old”) and of the Crosses. The nine Brotherhoods that the Holy Friday organize the procession of the Crosses and the Paputis in Sarno date back to 1200, period in which they were only three. In the morning groups of white hooded men (only the brothers of St.Matteo wear the red hood) cross in procession the small streets of the village, accompanied by songs that express the pain for the mystery of the death and the resurrection of Christ.

8 May:
Feast of St.Michele, Saint Patron of Sarno. Traditional procession of the statue for the principal roads of the village.

The Madonna delle Tre Corone is celebrated, the ritual procession is followed by civil celebrations.

8/12 September:
Feast of the Madonna of Montevergine in the collegiate church of St. Matteo: people tune the popular songs and the dirges dedicated to the famous Madonna of the Avellino area.

The most followed procession by the Sarno people is that of December 8 in honor of the Immacolata, whose statue is preserved in the homonym church. Once early in the morning, a riffa was held (sort of competition or auction) whose proceeds was completely devolved to the church. The greatest punter obtained the privilege to carry, together with others, the statue on his shoulders.




Authentic deliciousnesses for the most refined palates are the prawns and the eels, once abundant in the famous river. These last ones can be tasted in slices of bread coated with flour and cooked in the oil. Savory is the pizza with prawns of river, prepared in a fried mix of garlic and peppers and mixed with flour of maize. It is suggested to taste the arreganato dried cod with tomato, garlic and oregano.




By bus
The Cstp line, Nocera Inferiore-Sarno.

By car
With the A30 Caserta-Salerno, exit at Sarno.
By train
With the FF.SS. (the Caserta-Salerno or Cancello-Nocera Inferiore for San Severino line) or with the Circumvesuviana line, Napoli-Ottaviano-Sarno.



Telephone numbers

• Municipality - 081/8007111 - 081/945722 (fax)
• Police (local) - 081/942453
• Police (state) - 081/5137211
• Carabinieri - 081/941006
• Guardia di Finanza - 081/8590527
• Fire services - 081/5157128
• Medical aid - 081/9684478
• Civil Protection - 081/944189 - 8007284
• Water services - 081/943088 - 800218270
• Electricity-Gas – 800900800 - 800016086
• Superintendency Sarno Museum - 081/941451
• Guardia Forestale - 081/965364 (fax)

From "Guida alla Valle del Sarno" Istituto geografico De Agostini 2006

Realizzato dalla Soprintendenza Beni Archeologici Salerno-Avellino e Benevento, nell'ambito del progetto pilota per la gestione dei beni complessi della Valle del Sarno di cui all'Intesa Istituzionale di Programma, finanziata dalla Regione Campania nell'ambito dell'Accordo di Programma Quadro - II atto integrativo all'APQ 'Sviluppo Locale'.

Latest News

Il pirata Netes ti aspetta!

Salpa con lui per navigare, in una modalità tutta nuova, alla scoperta dei beni della Valle del Sarno!