Home arrow Municipalities arrow Roccapiemonte

Roccapiemonte

The town

Image 

Despite preexistences during Roman times, individualized in the town territory and referable to cappuccinan graves and probable rustic villas, the toponym is attested since the VIII century A.D. The small centre is dominated by the castle built by Guaimario IV, prince of Salerno, in the first half of the XI century. After some noble families, like the Zurlo and the De Raynaldo, in 1625 the duke Ettore Ravaschieri succeeded and bought the feud for 32.600 ducats. Since then, the powerful ligure family has driven the fates of the village up to the thresholds of the modern age, building a splendid abode, with the nearby Chapel of the Addolorata, realized in 1720, on a project by the Neapolitan architect Ferdinando Sanfelice.

The central area of the village expands along corso Mario Pagano, with its elegant noble buildings of the XVIII and XIX century overlook on. More decentralized, but risen around noble abodes, are the hamlets of St. Potito and Casali.

 

 



To see

Image 

The Castle
The castle was built in 1042, on the Solano mountain, as outpost for the control of the road below. With the Norman conquest, the possession passed to Torgisio de Rota; in the swabian epoch it belonged to the Royal Property, while under the Angioini it became a property of the Royal Curia. The Angioin tower and a new location date back to such epoch. Progressively abandoned in the XVI century, today only ruins of the mastio remain.

Church of S. Giovanni Battista
Dating back to 1081, is characterized by an eighteenth-century implant. In a side chapel a statue of the Immacolata Virgin of the XIX century is revered. Inside are preserved paintings by Costantino Desiderio and of Solimene school.

Church of S. Maria delle Grazie
Located in the Casali hamlet and anterior to 1168, it has suffered notable remakings in the XX century. Characterized by an unique aisle, it preserves an interesting Madonna di Constantinopoli by Angelo Solimena.

Church of S. Potito
The chapel was widened in 1849 on a previous one dated 1622. Noteworthy is the portal in Fiano stone with noble coat of arms. Inside, a painting of 1875 by Angelo Consiglio.

Sanctuary of S. Maria di Loreto
Dating back to the XII century, it is located on the Caruso mountain, in a very suggestive position. Restored during the years, currently it is destination of pilgrims who worship an eighteenth-century Black Madonna.

Villa Ravaschieri
Private residence of the dukes Fieschi Ravaschieri, it has suffered many rearrangements up to the XIX century.

Marciani Palace
Classical noble abode sporadically inhabited by the Marciani barons, it shows an eighteenth-century implant with ample courtyard and arcade. It is the seat of Nocera Inferiore – Gragnano industrial area.

Image 

 

 



Events and folklore

Image 

Carnival:
Picturesque allegorical wagons cross the city roads with dances and songs, led by the Vituosi, historical group of the demonstration. Not to lose o’ntreccio, ancient dance of the farmers performed after the pruning of the grape shoots.

1st of May:
Feast of the Majo (see Nocera Superiore), on the occasion of this festivity people dance down the village streets the so-called Intreccio: the dancers create choreographic crossings holding up in the hands branches of vines full of flowers.

First Sunday of May:
Ascent of the wooden statue of the Virgin to the hermitage of Santa Maria di Loreto; characteristic the fireworks display at the end of the feast.

24 June:
Procession of the saint patron statue, St.Giovanni Battista.

July:
Fera Nova, feast characterized by the tasting of typical dishes (above all delicacy made up with onions) and by the exposure of handicraft articles.
26 July: Traditional procession of the statue of St.Anna which take part the pregnant women of all the neighbouring villages.

Last Sunday of August:
The Feast of the Immacolata concludes the summer demonstrations with the wagon of Ezechiele that crosses the city roads.

  

 



Gastronomy

Typical dish is the tripe with tomato and beans or with tomato and potatoes which is prepared on the occasion of the Feast of the Immacolata; other delicacies to taste in Roccapiemonte is the pasta with stewed potatoes.

 

 



Transportation

By bus
With the line Cstp, Salerno-Siano.

By car
With the A30, exit Castel San Giorgio.

By train
With the Salerno-Nocera-Mercato San Severino line.

 

 



Telephone numbers

• Municipality - 081/5144488 - 081/936352
• Police (local) - 081/936311
• Police (state) - 081/936328
• Carabinieri - 081/951005 (Cast. S. G.)
• Guardia di Finanza - 081/5176364 (Noc. Sup)
• Fire services - 081/5157128
• Medical aid - 081/9368176
• Civil Protection - 081/936352
• Water services - 081/936311
• Electricity-Gas – 800900800 - 800016086

From "Guida alla Valle del Sarno" Istituto geografico De Agostini 2006


Realizzato dalla Soprintendenza Beni Archeologici Salerno-Avellino e Benevento, nell'ambito del progetto pilota per la gestione dei beni complessi della Valle del Sarno di cui all'Intesa Istituzionale di Programma, finanziata dalla Regione Campania nell'ambito dell'Accordo di Programma Quadro - II atto integrativo all'APQ 'Sviluppo Locale'.

Latest News

Il pirata Netes ti aspetta!

Salpa con lui per navigare, in una modalità tutta nuova, alla scoperta dei beni della Valle del Sarno!

 

Read more...