Home arrow Municipalities arrow Nocera Inferiore

Nocera Inferiore

The town

Image 

The history of the Municipality of Nocera Inferiore is tightly tied to the territory of Nuceria Alfaterna and to the alternate events that marked it. Around the X century it was built around the hill of the Fienga Castle Park, a firmitate nova that, in a 1023 act, is indicated as the Civitas Nuceriae or the city reborn centuries after the fall of the ancient Roman settlement. It was destroyed by Ruggero II d’Altavilla in 1138. The Castle was granted by Federico II of Svevia in 1240 to Riccardo Filangieri and, in a document dated 1228, the city is quoted as the Christians’ Nocera. On the death of king Manfredi, Charles of Angiò segregated his young widow Elena degli Angeli in the castle and she died there in 1271. Passed to Francesco Prignano, Pope Urbano VI’s nephew, it suffered the siege of the troops of Charles III of Durazzo in 1385. Teoderico of Niem, the pope’s secretary, gives us a stupendous description of the valley below. The stay of Urbano VI in Nocera was important to reconstitute the Diocese in Nocera after centuries since its disappearance with the new Episcopal center, established in the ancient abbey of St. Prisco. In the XVI century Nocera became dukedom of the Carafas and saw its University gathered in two divisions: Nocera Soprana and Nocera Sottana.

Image

The French decade (1806-1815) marked the division of the territory of Nocera dei Pagani with the birth of five Municipalities. On January 1st 1851 the actual Municipalities of Nocera Inferiore and Nocera Superiore were formed. Born as second section of the borbonic railroads, the Nocera Inferiore train station was for a long time the last stop for all the travellers of the Grand Tour, who went to Paestum or on the divine Costiera Amalfitana.

Contained between two important motorway arteries, today keeps on representing an important industrial and commercial pole in the district of the whole Agro Nocerino Sarnese. Numerous are, in fact, the food packaging industries, dairy farming, textile and engineering industries. The agriculture produces vegetables, fruit and cereals. In some hamlets, it is possible to find craftsman’s workshop where the iron is still wrought according to ancient traditions and laboratories assigned to the conservation of the agricultural products in oil and vinegar.

 

 



To see

Image 

Fienga Castle and Park
The structure of the castle is surrounded by three walls and at the top of them a Norman-Svevian pen- tagonal tower was built. Traces of medieval frescos, representing saints, are visible into a small chapel. From the original plant, remain structures like the Royal cavalry or the room of the Giants where the Angioini Royal family held the hearings. Interesting are the double lancet windows on the western side of the great courtyard where were probably situated the principal apartment. Further structures are preserved between the first and the second wall. The actual structure at the top of the hill of the Park was substantially built between the XIX and the XX century and takes the name of Fienga Palace from the last owners who lived there till few decades ago.

Church and monastery of S. Anna
Probably founded around 1288, as the bishop Pietro di Capaccio wanted, the monastery houses a Dominican monastic community. Today the church preserves the Baroque aspect but the presence of pointed arches and cross vaults shows angioin ancestors. After an earthquake it suffered a total restoration in 1685, that left intact notable cycles of frescos of the late XIV century of Giotto matrix. Interesting are also three paintings preserved on the central altar and on the two side ones, works respectively of Angelo, Francesco and Orazio Solimena. To remember also, the Presentazione dell’ordine domenicano, Andrea Sabatini’s work.

Church and convent of S. Giovanni

The suppressed abbey belonged to the verginian benedictine, currently under precarious conditions, preserved numerous paintings, among which the Transito di San Giuseppe, San Benedetto e San Guglielmo col Redentore, Santa Scolastica con la Vergine, works by Michele Ricciardi, today located into the to be built Museo Diocesano Nocerino. A valuable majolica floor of the XVIII century is preserved.

Church and convent of S. Andrea
In the half of the XVI century the convent was built as the duke Alfonso Carafa wanted, protector of the religious order of the Cappuccinis. In the church is preserved the marmoreal gravestone of the founder.

Sanctuary of S. Maria dei Miracoli

The rocky sanctuary bound to the olivetan benedictine fathers, situated on half coast of the Albino mountain, dates back to 1500. The church was widened in 1549 by the nocerin aristocratic Giovan Battista Castaldo who embellished it with works of art among which the very famous Madonna d’Alba, by Raffaello Sanzio, today preserved at the National Gallery of Art in Washington.

Church and monastery of S. Chiara

Located on the borders of Nocera Inferiore and Pagani, and inhabited by the Clarisse since the foundation at the end of the XIII century, it was completed in 1304. Today the building consists of a wing of the XVIII century and a second more ancient unity. The façade is single-spire. Inside the church, the first chapel on the right side is devoted to Saint Chiara, the second one to the Madonna called “dark”, who is very worshipped: according to the legend, in 1601, she moved her eyes and her hands and since then she has miracously healed many sick people. On the polychrome marble altar detaches a painting of the Vergine Annunziata by an unknown author of the first half of 1600.

Church and convent of S. Antonio

The complex represents an interesting expression of Gothic architecture in southern Italy, with Renaissance and neoclassic remaking. The church, devoted in origin to S. Francesco, was built beginning from 1256. The convent, suppressed in 1808, has been reoccupied by the monks in 1951. It houses the Sant’Antonio Dottore library that consists of over 15.000 volumes, “cinquecentine” and rare manuscripts. On the lower floor, since 1965 there is the Museo Archeologico Provinciale of the Agro Nocerino, where it is possible to admire a wonderful marmoreal Athena of imperial age and an oinochoe of bucchero that bears grafted an inscription in osco alphabet, so-called “nocerino”. On the upper floor has been placed a rich picture-gallery with important pictorial works of the sixteenth century, among which a Madonna con Bambino by Pietro Negroni.

Cathedral of S. Prisco

The façade and the actual implant date back to the Baroque epoch. Excavation essays have recently shown the colonnade of the original church. Valuable are the painting with S. Marco on the altar and the fresco of the Heaven by Angelo and Francesco Solimena, in the dome of the Archconfraternity of the SS. Rosario. Also important is the Madonna del Rosario attributed to Aert Mytens.The external bell tower realized in the seventeenth century is also attributed to Francesco Solimena.

Image 

 

 



Events and folklore

April:
Treasures and Tastes, a great gastronomic kermesse, of handicraft, agriculture and music.

May:
A seventeenth century costume historical commemoration of the Vice-reign; the marriage of the Duke Francesco Maria Carafa with Anna Pignatelli of Belmonte is reproposed.
9 May: Feast of St.Prisco, patron saint of the city and first bishop of the Diocese.

June:
Jazz in the Park, international jazz review that is held in the Fienga Castle, on the hill of the Park.

July-August:
Summer in the Castle, rich calendar of appointments of Italian popular theater.

  

 



Gastronomy

Image 

The typical dish of the nocerin tradition, recently rediscovered, is the yellow pepper ’mbuttunato (stuffed). Savoury are also the friarielli (long and thin green peppers), ser ved fried, accompanied by the pizza of maize (not worked wheat), fried or grilled. Another characteristic vegetable of the Nocera territory is the white onion with its unmistakable delicate taste.

Characteristic are the barrows of the pedlars who sell to the passer-bys a refreshing lemon ice cream, prepared only with sugar, lemon and water. Other delicacies are the pizzas folded up as a book, the pancakes of ciurilli (flowers of pumpkin) and those of grown pasta.

 

 



Transportation

By bus
With the different Sita and Cstp lines.

By car
With the A3 Napoli-Salerno or A30 Caserta-Salerno, exit Nocera Inferiore-Pagani.

By train
With the FF.SS., Napoli-Salerno line, stop at the Nocera Inferiore station.

 

 



Telephone numbers

• Municipality - 081/323511
• Police (local) - 081/3235459
• Police (state) - 081/920311
• Carabinieri - 081/5176332 - 081/925880
• Guardia di Finanza - 081/5176334
• Fire services - 081/5157128
• Medical aid - 081/9368176
• Civil protection - 081/5178088
• Water services - 081/943088 (Gori) - 800218270
• Electricity-Gas – 800900800 - 800553000
• Museo Archeologico Agro - 081/929880
• Curia Vescovile - 081/5176763 (fax)
• Curia prov. dei frati - minori conventuali - 081/925734

From "Guida alla Valle del Sarno" Istituto geografico De Agostini 2006


Realizzato dalla Soprintendenza Beni Archeologici Salerno-Avellino e Benevento, nell'ambito del progetto pilota per la gestione dei beni complessi della Valle del Sarno di cui all'Intesa Istituzionale di Programma, finanziata dalla Regione Campania nell'ambito dell'Accordo di Programma Quadro - II atto integrativo all'APQ 'Sviluppo Locale'.

Latest News

Il pirata Netes ti aspetta!

Salpa con lui per navigare, in una modalità tutta nuova, alla scoperta dei beni della Valle del Sarno!

 

Read more...