Home arrow Municipalities arrow Castel San Giorgio

Castel San Giorgio

The town


Crossing the pass of the Orco, where a gravestone of republican age is preserved, along a brief stretch of the via Popilia, you reach the territory of Castel San Giorgio. The ruins of rustic villas individualized on half coast and ruins of the Augustean aqueduct in the “Cappella  di Paterno” hamlet, document the agricultural exploitation of the territory in Roman epoch. The lithic ruins of a sanctuary, testified by abundant Hellenistic ceramics, are visibly close to the fortification of Santa Maria a Castello. This last, wanted by the prince Arechi, around 760, represented for a long time a defense against the Saracen raids. After centuries the complex was transformed into an hermitage and the palatine church became a patrimony of the Convent of Materdomini. On the top of Montecastello you can see the ruins of the mastio of Castel San Giorgio, already belonged in 1087 to Roberto de Cripta, gentleman of the places. After alternate events, at the end of the XVIII century the feud was possessed by the barons Sarno Prignano. Notarial acts of the Codex Diplomaticus Cavensis attest that the actual toponymic configuration dates back to the 983 A.D. Today Castel San Giorgio founds its economy on a modern agriculture, on the food packaging industry and the building materials.



To see


The Castle
Probably built in the XII century, the castle is surrounded by three boundary walls, articulated by quadrangular turrets of Norman epoch. The mastio underlines a polygonal structures, while a round tower and attached structures, of Aragonese age, testify following reconstruction.

Church of SS. Salvatore
Located in Aiello, hamlet of Castel San Giorgio, it preserves inside an imposing wooden painted “car” that contains a wonderful and stately Madonna of Loreto between S. Rocco and S. Sebastian. Dated 1588 it has been attributed to the neapolitan painter Leonardo Castellano.

Church of Santa Maria a Favore
The name of the church of S. Maria a Favore at Fabale appears in 1067, in the Codex Diplomaticus Cavensis. Rebuilt and widened around 1589, it was endowed with the beautiful painting of the Madonna della Misericordia (1599) by Iulius Mariellus.

Villa Calvanese and its Park
Recently restored thanks to a loan of the Patto dell’Agro, despite has been deprived during the years of the Baroque decorations that hang over balconies and windows of the façade, preserves intact the back garden, rich in perfumed arboreal essences.


Events and folklore

Feast of St.Biagio, patron of the Lanzara hamlet. After the celebration the priest greases the throat of the believers with the blessed oil. The mast’e fest (organizers of the feast) in exchange of donations, give the believers the characteristic “bread of St. Biagio”, round unleavened small rolls.

Tuesday after Pentecoste:
Feast of the Madonna of Constantinople. Characteristic is the flight of the angel: two young girls suspended in air accompany the entrance and the exit of the Madonna, tuning up a song in honor of the Virgo and throwing flowers on the crowd. Nice is the gift that the faithful offerers receive and that brings us back to many years ago: a “bag” filled with a kilo of pasta, dried cod and “mostaccioli” (typical local cake).

A trip over the notes. Gardens of the Calvanese Palace. The musical demonstration aims at valorizing the historical places of Castel San Giorgio through concerts of classical and popular music. The concerts are mainly held in the gardens of the Calvanese Palace, but they are often housed in other places of the small suburb.





The typical gastronomy is represented by numerous festivals, beginning from that of the tripe on the half of August. Excellent the meatballs of St.Biagio, the meatballs of dried cod (secret recipe), the dried cod, the pasta and beans, the rustic “migliaccio” (a sort of pizza of macaroni and eggs) and its sweet version prepared during the Easter feasts and the traditional “mallone” (fried bread with turnips tops and potatoes).




By bus
With the line Salerno-Siano of the Cstp.

By bus
With the A30 Caserta-Salerno, exit at Castel San Giorgio.

By train
With FF.SS. on the Salerno-Nocera-Mercato San Severino line.



Telephone numbers

• Municipality - 081/5163211 – 081/5163111
• Police (local) - 081/5163270
• Police (state) - 081/920311
• Carabinieri - 081/951005 - 081/5161999 (fax)
• Guardia di Finanza - 081/5176334 (Nocera)
• Fire services - 081/5157128
• Medical aid - 081/9368176
• Civil protection - 081/5163226 – 081/5163219
• Water services - 081/5161517- 800218270
• Electricity-Gas – 800900800 - 800016086

From "Guida alla Valle del Sarno" Istituto geografico De Agostini 2006

Realizzato dalla Soprintendenza Beni Archeologici Salerno-Avellino e Benevento, nell'ambito del progetto pilota per la gestione dei beni complessi della Valle del Sarno di cui all'Intesa Istituzionale di Programma, finanziata dalla Regione Campania nell'ambito dell'Accordo di Programma Quadro - II atto integrativo all'APQ 'Sviluppo Locale'.

Latest News

Il pirata Netes ti aspetta!

Salpa con lui per navigare, in una modalità tutta nuova, alla scoperta dei beni della Valle del Sarno!