Angri

The town

The first news concerning the toponymic datum of Angri, as locus maybe deriving from the late Latin angra (stagnant water), are not previous to the IX century A.D. Nevertheless the archaeological findings during the twentieth century testify settlements of Roman age, connected to the close Nuceria. In fact, its territory was crossed by important main roads that connected Nuceria to Pompeios and Stabiae. Just along such lines have been discovered graves, sepulchres (whose outfits are still exposed in the Museo dell’Agro Nocerino) but also rustic villas of republican age and sacred areas. The most interesting element till now discovered is a milestone related to the V mile from Nocera. Emperor Adriano had the milestone affixed in the year between December 10th 120 A.D. and December 9 of 121 A.D., along the road that from Nuceria, passing for Stabiae leaded to Punta Campanella in the Sorrentina peninsula. The cippus recalls the restoration of he road axle, after the terrible Vesuvius eruption of 79 A.D. had buried its route. Another noteworthy archaeological finding, coming from excavations executed in Angri, is the fragment of a terracotta virile mask of italic tradition with housing holes for the horns, perhaps referable to the personification of the god Sarno, deus of the “nocerini” confederate. Testimonies of preceding anthropic phenomenon cannot be excluded, at least for what is related to the protohistoric phases that have interested the whole Valley, but at the moment the archaeological research doesn’t have sure and convincing elements. It was however during the XIV century that the country assumed a true town planning physiognomy around the castle whose origins are not exactly known, even if the fortification goes back to the period of Ruggero II.

Today past and present cohabit under the name of the Doria.

The eighteenth-century Doria Castle is the Town Hall seat. Doria is the name of the tomato factory and fruit by-products – the only firm in Salerno quoted on Exchange – that gives economic security to a lot of families of the zone. Doria is the sign of numerous shops.

The industrial development was remarkable since the first years of the nineteenth century, especially thanks to the production of yarns and fabrics, to the graphic firms, to the delicious tomatoes, to the wood manufacturing.

 



To see

Doria Castle
Image
Today only the circular tower and the moat are preserved from the original structure of the castle. Destroyed by Braccio di Montone in 1421, it passed under various feudatories up to 1636 when it passed into the hands of the prince Marcantonio Doria. The powerful family gave the castle to the Municipal district in 1910 and since then it is center of the civic administration.

Collegiate of S. Giovanni Battista
Built around 1302 on the ruins of a more ancient church devoted to S. Angelo (1180), it is the main city building of cult. It preserves the magnificent XV century façade characterized by the ashlar of piperno, by the weathered profile of the coverage and by the surviving central rose window (kept entire in comparison with the two side ones which today lost), perhaps work of Matteo Forcimanya, majorcan architect-carver, author of palatine chapel rose window of Castel Nuovo in Naples.

Inside the church a silver late Gothic wine glass with the most ancient puschers in Naples is preserved, with paintings of Angelo Solimena, Fedele Fischetti and a superb polyptych on the background wall of the gallery of the church, attributed to the Master of the Polyptych of Angri and datable to 1510. Interesting are also a first half of the fifteenth century wooden crucifix and the painting with S. Nicholas and S. Anthony, attributed to Pietro Torres. Finally, two beautiful busts of the Baptist, a wooden and a silver one are remarkable.

Church of S. Benedetto
Image
Built around the XIV century, and characterized by a Romanesque structure, the church was unchanged throughout the XVII century: the stuccoes, in fact, that covered the original columns and decorated the walls date back to the eighteenth century. Inside the church the wooden polyptych with the Virgin and her Child among the Saints: John the Baptist, Peter, Benedict and Sebastian are preserved. It dates back to 1503 and is attributed to an unknown teacher conventionally defined as S. Benedict.

Church of the Annunziata
Founded together with the monastery on the 24 July of 1436, it was restructured around the middle of the XVIII century and endowed with twelve altars along the side walls. On the main altar hangs the painting with the SS. Annunziata, dated 1764, painted by Jacopo Cestaro.

Durazzesco-Catalani Portals
In the historical centre of Angri, in the via Incoronati n. 23, via di Mezzo n. 3 and via Marconi n. 22, houses beautiful examples of double lancet windows, staircases, porches, windows and portals characterized by a reduced arch framed by a rectangle, examples of Catalan taste close to the architectural resolutions of the architects and the picapedres working in Naples at the time of king Alfonso of Aragona.

The Town Park
Image
The garden of the Doria Palace, restored thanks to the intervention of the Patto dell’Agro S.p.A., today separated from the road, has an eighteenth century implant, is decorated by secular plants and a fountain in the center.

MCM Factory
Close to the historical centre there is the seat of the Manifatture Cotoniere Meridionali, which had absorbed, in 1918, the affiliate spinning factories to the Cotonifici Riuniti of Salerno belonging to the Swiss Wenners. Stopped the activity, at the beginning of the 90’s of the XX century, it is considered today an interesting example of industrial archaeology.

The Canon Alfonso M. Fusco Museum
It was prepared by the Battistine Nuns in the mother house rooms, in memory of their founder, proclaimed “Blessed” in 2001, in virtue of the attribution of the miraculous recovery of an African baby.

 

 


Events and Folklore

May:
Feast of the Bread: show stands of the bakeries from the whole territory are prepared downtown.

June:
Feast of St.Giovanni, with the patron’s procession along the city roads. To the sound of the traditional march lay the money, lay the money, St.Giovanni the silver bust parades and – it is said – it doesn’t have to surpass the wooden one, otherwise the crop will be very bad. Besides the religious rite there are also the lay celebrations that last four days. On Tuesday, the last day of the feast, there is a phantasmagoric competition of fireworks displays, with the famous “fire of the Castle.”

Last Sunday of August:
Feast of the Tomatoes in the piazza Annunziata.

August-September:
Historic “Palio” in the City of Angri. The six suburbs of the city compete alternating themselves in the assault to the Doria Castle or in the Saracino fair.

 

 


Gastronomy

Image
Dominator of the Angri gastronomic scene is the “ragu” (meat sauce), of which every family preserves its own secret recipe, to taste with the traditional “ziti” (typical pasta). Each period of the year introduces a series of characteristic dishes: for Carnival the homemade “lasagnas” are prepared, the pork meatballs and the “chiacchiere”, fried thin pastries dusted with sugar; Easter sees on the table the “macaroni” and the goatling cooked in the oven, “sopressata” (country salami) and roasted artichokes. Finally, during the festivities of St. Giovanni, in late June, you can taste a good chop.

 

 


Transportation

By bus
Line 4 of the Cstp, Salerno-Pompei or with line Sita Pagani-Napoli and Salerno-Napoli via Pompei.

By car
With the A3 Napoli-Salerno, exit at Angri.

By train
With the FF.SS., stopping at Angri station.

 

 


Telephone numbers 

• Municipality - 081/5168111
• Police (local) - 081/5168202-5168227
• Police (state) - 081/949666
• Carabinieri - 081/948383 - 081/5135353 (fax)
• Guardia di Finanza - 081/8590527 - 081/8590570 (Scafati)
• Fire services - 081/5157128
• Medical aid - 081/9368176
• Water services - 081/5161517 - 800218270
• Electricity-Gas - 800900800 - 800016086

From "Guida alla Valle del Sarno" Istituto geografico De Agostini 2006


Realizzato dalla Soprintendenza Beni Archeologici Salerno-Avellino e Benevento, nell'ambito del progetto pilota per la gestione dei beni complessi della Valle del Sarno di cui all'Intesa Istituzionale di Programma, finanziata dalla Regione Campania nell'ambito dell'Accordo di Programma Quadro - II atto integrativo all'APQ 'Sviluppo Locale'.

Latest News

Il pirata Netes ti aspetta!

Salpa con lui per navigare, in una modalità tutta nuova, alla scoperta dei beni della Valle del Sarno!

 

Read more...